Saturday, March 7, 2009

Driving in the Dark with no Headlights

So I'm driving down the highway with Sheree (Thomas' sister) to go to class on Thursday night. It's about 7:15, and I see a cop pulled over on the side of the road. I look down, and check my speed (which is a solid 70), and I feel a little relieved. Then, suddenly, the cop is behind me with his lights on. And not only are his lights on, but he is yelling at me over his speaker. In case you haven't ever been yelled at by a cop, let me be the first to tell you that it is not pleasant. First of all, it's damn scary. And secondly, you cannot understand a word that he is saying, so now I'm scared that I'm going to do the wrong thing and get shot at. Sheree and I deduce that he wants us to take the next exit, which we do, and pull over on the side of the road. We are still debating as to why he's pulling us over, and I think that maybe it's because my right brake light is out (which is a silly reason to be pulled over, but I KNOW I wasn't speeding, and couldn't think of anything else). The cop comes up to my window, and says to me, "Do you know that you're driving without your headlights on?"

Sidenote---Here is the story as to why my headlights were off: Sheree meets me at my house to go to class, and I tell her that I haven't picked up the oranges that I need to bring to class with me, so I'll have to run to the grocery store. (We were practicing our food and beverage signs in my ASL class) I drive to the store, and turn the car off, but leave the keys in the ignition, and tell Sheree that I will be right back. I stupidly turn my lights off, because the car is now parked, and that's just annoying to have your lights on when you're parked. So when I get back into the car, I forgot to turn them back on. The reason that I forgot to turn them back on is because my lights are automatic, so I usually never have to deal with them.

Continuing with the cop portion of my story....

I said to the guy, "Oh, no I didn't, I had to stop at the store, and I turned them off because I was parked, and I ran in to get something, and forgot to turn them back on." At least, this is what I was trying to say. I got interrupted at about the "turned them off" part. He then asked me if they work, and I said that they did, and they're actually automatic. So by this time, I'm thinking that he'll let me off with a warning, because I honestly just forgot to turn them back on. And, I mean, they're automatic freaking lights, AND it's not like they're broken or anything! Oh no, my friend. He goes back to his stupid little car and writes me a ticket for driving in the dark without my headlights.

Seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment